[Linux-aus] Has M$ bought off the SA Govt ?

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Wed Jul 16 11:52:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 11:35:15AM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 10:09, Con Zymaris wrote:
> > Once again, clear wording and meainging: "multiple, independent
> > software development vendors". This cannot be construed as City
> > Software, Harris Tech and Tech Pacific reselling Microsoft.
>
> <advocate being="devil">
> Yes, it can.
>
> If two of those companies "modify" the software at all, even down to
> trivial stuff like changing the splash screen and/or packaging
> different templates with it which would have been anathema to the
> Microsoft of yesteryear but an easy choice to make when faced with
> pacman^Hcancer^Hcommunism^Hanarchy^HLinux, they can be purported to be
> different products from different software "development" vendors.

It's good to role-play the weak spots in any concept we wish to take to
government, but...

if you work through the scenario, then the approach mention above doesn't
hit the right nails on the head for it to pass through the filter
requirements we're suggesting.

Even if Microsoft does allow someone else to rebrand Office, have they:

1) fully documented and openly published their document spec? and
2) has it been ratified by an international structured document standards
   body like OASIS?

methinks not. ;-)