[Linux-aus] Benefits (was: M$ buys off SA)

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Tue Jul 15 16:02:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:30, David Lloyd wrote:
> <devils advocacy>
> Opening up the format allows people to include extra features into
> the format thereby defeatin the whole purpose of open formats. Only a
> format controlled solely by Microsoft/Sun/Jesus/Mohammed can combat
> this type of creep.
> </>

<advocacy being="angel">
Reply 1: Yes, that's been thoroughly demonstrated with the MS-Office
formats - hasn't it?

Reply 2: Yes, and since the OOo format is "controlled" by Sun, that
makes it perfect for our needs - doesn't it?
</>

Are angels supposed to be sarcastic? (-:

(-: Could we at least insist on a liberal Islamic document format, if
it's to be Mohammed-controlled? Or a moderate Protestant Christian one
for Jesus? I do hate it when documents violently proselytise each
other. False conversions never stick, anyway. <*> :-)

Cheers; Leon

<*> Yes, that _was_ a joke.

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA