[Linux-aus] Has M$ bought off the SA Govt ?

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Tue Jul 15 11:34:01 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 10:37:16AM +0800, Gary Allpike wrote:

> http://news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,6751841%255E15306,00.html

Fuller version of article here:

http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,6751841%5E15306%5E%5Enbv%5E,00.html

The letter is at odds with Mr Weatherill's earlier statement that the
Government would seriously consider open source.

"We will be fully exploring it in terms of our review of IT services and
the EDS contract renewal process," Mr Weatherill told The Australian on
July 1.

"We'll design a procurement system that ensures maximum options for
government, including open source for evaluation next to proprietary
software.

"That gets open source software in with a good opportunity. To the extent
that we place a value on the development of the local IT industry, there
may be a place for open source software."

---

also worth noting is this piece:

 http://www.zdnet.com.au/newstech/os/story/0,2000048630,20276244,00.htm