[Linux-aus] Sam did better with this one

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Mon Jul 7 09:14:01 UTC 2003

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 08:47:12AM +1000, Chris Samuel wrote:

> On Sunday 06 Jul 2003 1:38 am, Kimberly Shelt wrote:
>
> > "Local Content -  Local People" perchance ?
>
> You've got to remember that Sam is an active member of MLUG, or at least was
> when I unsubscribed because I couldn't keep up with both MLUG and LUV and
> MLUG came later in my alphabetacised list of folders.

concurr.

I've been kinda bumusedly riding this one out, but I have to say that I
think we are being way to hard on Sam on this. Perhaps some of his
conculsions were reached way too quickly and his language was a triffle
curt, but bouncing this particular topic back at him with complaints and
lengthy diatribe is not the way to keep a journalist on-side.

And it's not as if Sam is anti-Linux or FOSS-community. Sam has been
actively interested in Linux for perhaps 5 years. IIRC he was one of the
first to come through our training programme way-back when.

Perhaps this episode points to a problem with the rather disjointed
approach that the FOSS community in this country has to PR. I don't have a
solution, save to suggest that handling this aspect of press-relations is
generally what commercial firms do with aplomb.

con