[Linux-aus] Large FOSS rollouts in UK, Ireland, Italy?

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Fri Jul 4 08:07:02 UTC 2003

<quote who="Jonathan Oxer">

> The location can be changed as required, but I've made a start of putting
> up a Linux rollout list at http://jon.oxer.com.au/linuxrollouts/

Couple of points/suggestions:

  * There were *lots* of nice lists (like, slides and slides worth) shown at
    the NOIE seminar; you can find links to these on the NOIE site. I'll
    keep your list in mind and forward stuff as it appears. :-)

  * The current categorisation makes sysadmin-sense but not suit-sense. Most
    of our wins will be industry-by-industry - consider the inroads we've
    made into high end content creation and life sciences. We've basically
    won those industries over. So, if I'm a suit in the retail industry, I'm
    going to want to know if FOSS is applicable to my sector, not that some
    French nuclear research facility has set up a 2500 node cluster. ;-)

  * It's probably worth having short links to further information, rather
    than having a paragraph of local info which you'll have to maintain. A
    good lists of links in industry categories will give the "everybody's
    doing it impression". Plus, you won't have to do so much editing
    yourself.

  * The exception is case studies. They're the real winner when it comes to
    converting interest into action, because everyone's using Linux already
    anyway. They're very, very hard to get a hold of though, because the
    BigCo's keep them internal, and a lot of industries don't necessarily
    want to make noise about their IT stuff (if it's not a core competency).
    So, we've gots lots of ICT talk about FOSS use, but not a lot in "real
    world" industry. And no one listens to ICT talk, because it's all hype.
    :-)

Hope this was useful. I'll send stuff as I find it.

- Jeff

--
Get Informed: SCO vs. IBM                            http://sco.iwethey.org/

  "There's always a new bogeyman - every two months, there's a new axe to
                 add to the axis of evil." - Michael Moore