[Linux-aus] Re: [CTTE] Re: Reaction: SCO case: Australian LUGs says it's a storm in a teacup

Pia Smith pia at linux.org.au
Wed Jul 2 21:58:02 UTC 2003

Hi Mary,

On Thu, 2003-06-26 at 12:14, Mary Gardiner wrote:
<snip Sams response>
> My personal opinion (I haven't consulted with the rest of SLUG's
> committee on this, so it's not the committee's opinion, they may
> follow-up this mail) is that this is a reasonably fair response to our
> concerns with his article.
>
> I'm going to ask the SLUG committee what they think about referring
> future comment on these issues to Linux Australia. In this particular
> case though, are there any statements or press releases that have been
> made by Linux Australia on the SCO issue?

The only statement made by us prior to this was:

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=505337127

We also made the statement to Sam that said pretty much the same thing.

A few LUGs have suggested that we be a hub for the media. I would
suggest you join the SLUG committee to the lug at linux.org.au mailing list
(go to lists.linux.org.au). We have just changed its function so it is
purely for LUG business and communication. We will likely use this as a
medium for communicating with LUGs about media issues such as this one.
The only reason we didn't make a real effort to get out to the LUGs
about this article was that we were given 2 days lead time to get some
comments in, and between iinet going down (grr) and trying to draft an
email to the LUGs we didn't have time. I have requested from Sam that we
get at least a weeks lead time for future stories, and in return should
be able to get a decent response from the LUGs.

It is a pity that this article went the way it did, but it did serve to
show us all we need to get our public relations up to scratch :)

Let me know how SLUG feels about this. I'd be happy to meet with the
committee one evening to discuss Linux Australia and media contact.  At
some point it would be worth while having a discussion about the
relationship between SLUG and LA.

Regards,
Pia
--