[Linux-aus] We have _definitely_ been undercharging for our conferences!

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Tue Jul 1 13:13:01 UTC 2003

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 00:42, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="David Lloyd">
>>  a) they're in their infancy (as far as conferences go)
>>  b) they're run by volunteers (who don't need $40K salaries)
>>  c) they're community efforts

> d) raising the price, while perhaps keeping the numbers down to a
> socially useful level, would more than likely turn away much of our
> core audience, so the conference would end up sucking

> e) the (ample) profits go to Linux Australia for the good of the
> community, and the conferences ROCK THE CASBAH already, so it's not
> like we need to up the price for any reasonable reason anyway

> f) the reasonable prices are part of the whole "BEST CONFERENCE EVER"
> package

Amen, brother, amen! (-: You're preaching to the choir :-)

Perhaps we could make constructive use of it in highlighting LCA2004's
value for money rather than abusing it as a pricing benchmark.

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA
http://linux.org.au/            Committee Member, Linux Australia