[Linux-aus] Microsoft is a reality, please just deal with it [Was: SMH and The Age :)]

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Tue Feb 25 21:29:02 UTC 2003

<quote who="Brent Wallis">

> But are not critical parts of .NET being prepared for patents?
> http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG0
> 1&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1='20030028685'.PGNR.&O
> S=DN/20030028685&RS=DN/20030028685

Perhaps, but then, it has very little to no relevance with the CLI and C#
standards ratified by the ECMA. The patent itself is awash with prior art
anyway, so for your average Free Software hacker, it's not much of a
worry... Do you remember what Linus says about patents? :-)

The "ha ha Microsoft" posts on this list are getting tiresome. Microsoft are
a reality in the marketplace, and we are not about to decimate them any time
soon. They're not a laughing stock, they're a valid and credible competitor.

In tennis training, are students ever taught to 'keep their eye on their
opponent'? Seldom, if ever. Watching the opponent is definitely important,
but keeping your eye on the ball - ie., the work at hand - is another level
entirely. So rather than having the weekly "Let's Laugh at MS" thread,
perhaps it's time to consider watching the ball again?

Everyone throws around the old Ghandi quote as if "and then you win" is our
natural right against an unjust enemy [1]... Ever turned the quote around?

We can only compete on our actions.

- Jeff

[1] Also, and quite topical, listen to "With God on Our Side" by Bob Dylan
some time.

--
                          chown -R us:us yourbase