[Linux-aus] spam on the list

Anand Kumria akumria at linux.org.au
Fri Feb 14 21:32:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 05:22:20PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Bret Busby wrote:
>

> > I got another spam today, about the Shezen Sh*t.
> >
> > I noticed that the second and third Shezen Sh*t messages were 40K.
> >
> > Lists that I administer, allow for setting maximum message size.
> >
> > Perhaps, setting maximum message size of 10K, could eliminate those
> > messages, at least.
> >
> > 10K appears to be a good maximum message size, and, it encourages
> > pruning and prudent posting.
> >

> Just thought that I should add that, in checking, I appear to have not
> received any messages from the list, this month, that were as long as
> 10K, that were not filtered off as viral or spam (using the filters that
> I created in PINE).
>
> So, 10K appears to be a useful maximum message length for this list.

I've fixed up SpamAssassin and migrated away from my fairly fragile
scripts over to using James Henstridge's SpamAssassin.py Mailman filter.

It is pretty good and I hope it will remove the spam from the lists
entirely. I have left things, for now, at their default settings.

If you are also after the script, it is available at:

Regards,
Anand

--
 `` We are shaped by our thoughts, we become what we think.
 When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never