[Linux-aus] Windows XP for use on public access terminals

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Tue Feb 11 08:22:01 UTC 2003

I was browsing a copy of the Windows XP Pro EULA, and ran across this
interesting clause:

    You may not rent, lease, lend or provide commercial hosting services
    to third parties with the Product.

I had a glance at a tender form for computers to be used in WA libraries for
public access not long ago, in discussing it with a friend.

It struck me as I was reading this that the intended use as a public access
terminal could be interpreted as "renting", "lending" or "providing
commercial hosting". It would unquestionably apply to an ordinary commercial
cyber cafe, and a question arises over whether a public access terminal
provided by government is or is not effectively a cyber cafe terminal for
which the government body pays the users' fees themselves.

As far as I can tell, nothing like this clause appears in the licencing for XP
Home, Mac OS X or any of the Linux distributions which I have to hand.

Are you in a position to clarify this issue for me?

Cheers; Leon

http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA
http://linux.org.au/            Committee Member, Linux Australia
http://linux.org.au/~leonb/lca2003/  THE Oz Linux Technical Conf: