[Linux-aus] Conferences

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Feb 7 09:19:01 UTC 2003

On 6 Feb 2003, Tim Bowden wrote:

> Date: 06 Feb 2003 07:29:31 +0800
> From: Tim Bowden <bowden at iinet.net.au>
> To: la <linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au>
> Subject: Re: [Linux-aus] Thanks for the fish!
>
> 	On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 05:14, David Lloyd wrote:
> >
> > Would it be useful to have a formal place for suggestions about the next
> > conference(s)...maybe a read only mailing list or a forum style affair?
> >

> Most definitely.  When PLUG were organizing lca03 they had a mailing
> list especially for those who were helping/ interested in the conf
> planning.
>
> Tim Bowden

Perhaps, given the objectives of Linux Australia, it could host an
ongoing conference list; not limited to any particular conference, so
that comments/suggestions/discussions/etc could occur on an ongoing
basis, and thus the issues relating to the conferences could be
discussed and reviewed on an ongoing basis, on a "perpetual", dedicated
list.

In relation to the comments about hosting a conference in NZ, just out
of interest, the legal references in Australia, to NZ as part of the
"Commonwealth of Australia", are in the Australian Constitution Act, and
the reference is to named colonies, including NZ, that "may want to
become part of the Commonwealth", or something to that effect; something
like "The Commonwealth of Australia shall consist of the colonies of New
South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, (and other Australian colonies that
are part of the federation), and New Zealand, or as many of those
colonies as secide to become part of the Commonwealth". The wording is
not word for word, but it is an approximation.

As NZ is not part of the Australian federation, but is regarded, in
terms of being part of a same entity as parts (as in states and
territories) of Australia, only (I believe) in its being part of
Australasia, to have what have thus far, been Australian Linux
conferences, also held in NZ, would, I believe, require the conferences
to become Australasian conferences, or, perhaps, ANZ (as in
Australian and New Zealand, as opposed to the bank) conferences, and, if
the umbrella or parent organisation is to remain what is now Linux
Australia, or similarly as an incorporated organisation, apart from
requiring mendments to the constitution (if it is to be what is now
known as Linux Australia), including a name change, and, the
organisation would, I believe, ned to be incorporated in both countries,
and, would be subject to the laws of both countries, including, as a
primary example, to the tax laws of both countries, and thence, the
different GST requirements of both countries. Also, as a member of the
Western Australian Genealogical Society, and the New Zealand Society of
Genealogists, I know that the privacy requirements of this state and NZ,
differ, and that apparently  also applies to the Australian federal
privacy requirements.

In short, whilst the idea may appear, at first consideration, a good
idea, I believe that it opens up a can of nasty worms (like hydatids,
not nice earth worms). I think that it would also require a fair bit of
legal practioner involvement, including legal practitioner knowledge of
the laws of both countries, apart from accounting knowledge of the
accounting and tax requirements of both countries.

That is not to say that I believe that it should not happen; I just
suggest that it would be very difficult to implement.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."