[Linux-aus] Thanks for the fish!

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Thu Feb 6 08:05:12 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 05 February 2003 11:52 pm, Tim Bowden wrote:
> As Stephen said please consider something like a 'power desktop users'
> stream as opposed to just developer streams.  Perhaps this could have
> topics like 'using advanced/ network features of X', 'X session
> management', 'shell scripting tricks', 'building firewalls'...

Yes, but... it's _supposed_ to be a technical conference, it's _supposed_ to
be reasonably intimate (`me and 400 of my closest friends' is really pushing
it), it's _supposed_ to have deep and difficult stuff in it, Linus did attend
the deepest and most difficult stuff sessions at LCA2003.

One possibility, a useful one since venues get much harder to find and much
more expensive per head when you have large numbers, is the run two
conferences side by side in the same city at once, a technical and a
not-so-technical (although I'm currently stuck for a non-condescending name
for the latter, maybe `Linux OnRamp?'), and allow delegates and speakers from
one to overflow into the other. For example, Rasmus could do a couple of
beginner and intermediate PHP sessions in the OnRamp conf, then trot across
to the `Deep Linux' session for some advanced PHP.

Managing that would be difficult, but I imagine that it could be done by
starting with a large committee, working out the broad strokes of a common
plan, then splitting the committee, each half trundling along independently,
fitting into the framework already decided upon, and only minor liason to
reduce conflict and duplication.

Cheers; Leon

http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA
http://linux.org.au/            Committee Member, Linux Australia