[Linux-aus] Representation

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Mon Feb 3 21:00:01 UTC 2003

On Monday 03 February 2003 05:06 pm, Tony Nugent wrote:
> nor was there any
> information posted here about who was standing,

With a few exceptions, we didn't know until the day. There were probably 15 or
16 nominated for Committee, of whom 12 stood.

> nor this crazy
> prerequesite that I would have HAD to have been there in person to
> participate either as a nominee for a position on its committee or
> to qualify to vote for those nominated.

Some nomination happened by remote control, and IIRC (vaguely) one nominee for
something wasn't present, so in practice maybe bodily presence wasn't a
prereq for standing.

It was indeed a crazy AGM, and Rusty, Knight Commander of the Microphone,
managed to have it happen in minimal time with minimal argument.

> As a matter of principle, things *have* to change.  As a matter
> of practicality, I'm not sure what the end solution should be.

Yes. Here we stand. (-:

Cheers; Leon

http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA
http://linux.org.au/            Committee Member, Linux Australia