[Linux-aus] Proposals for the committee to discuss

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Mon Feb 3 15:21:02 UTC 2003

On Monday 03 February 2003 06:19 am, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Here's two proposals, hopefully addressing the issue of geographical
> representation, that I would like to see the committee discuss at their
> next meeting:

>   1) That the consitution be changed to require election of one committee
>   member from every state and territory.

I'd prefer something like `less than half of the Committee members may be from
any one State.' Otherwise we either need members from...

    Australian Antartic Territory
    Christmas Island
    Cocos (Keeling) Islands
    Coral Sea Islands Territory
    Norfolk Island
    Territory of Heard Island and McDonald Islands
    Territory of Nauru
    Territory of New Guinea
    Territory of Papua

...or cumbersome wording like `one committee member from every mainland state
and territory and Tasmania'.

>   2) That an official sub-committee be formed to represent either the
> states and territories, or the LUGs, as an 'advisory board' to the LA
> committee.

IMHO this is a better approach, but what powers get delegated to the
subcommittee to permit the LUGs to be fairly and effectively represented
without effectively bloating the Committee? I guess it boils down to `What
Committee powers would be useful to a LUG rep'?

Cheers; Leon

http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA
http://linux.org.au/            Committee Member, Linux Australia
http://linux.org.au/~leonb/lca2003/  THE Oz Linux Technical Conf: