[Linux-aus] Linux Australia AGM Held

Daniel Stone dstone at trinity.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Feb 3 09:34:28 UTC 2003

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 11:17:57PM +0800, Bret Busby scrawled:
> On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Anand Kumria wrote:
> > You really ought to read over the charter of Linux Australia. You idea
> > of what it is supposed to be and what it actually is don't seem to
> > match.
> >
> > Linux Australia is supposed to serve the interests of Australia Linux
> > users and vendors.
>
> Well, you have certainly shown that the committee has no interest in
> doing that, and will go to great lengths, and use dirty tactics, to
> avoid doing that.

While I see the lack of representation from South Australia, Queensland,
etc, and the thumping majority from NSW/ACT, as a problem, I don't think
the committee are using dirty tactics at all. I think they're an
excellent committee, but I also think that regional representation is a
very good idea, and necessary for LA (no slight, of course, to the
current committee members).

The lack of any ability to carry out business online is a problem: I
personally couldn't attend due to family issues, and thus was unable to
nominate, as had planned. Creating a GnuPG web of trust (Anand's key is
in the Debian keyring, and both mine and Jeff's keys are reasonably closely
tied in to it [I have around 21 Debian signatures], so basing our web of
trust initially on Debian's[1], could be a good way to get regional
representation going).

-d

[1]: Although I might have spent the last 3 years of my life doing a
rather large amount of Debian work, this isn't an attempt to force
Debian on LA. It's just a reflection of the fact that there is no other
keyring with quite the same global span, where ID is guaranteed (Debian
Developers are required to inspect appropriate ID, such as a license or
a passport, before signing a key).

--
Daniel Stone                                     <dstone at trinity.unimelb.edu.au>
Developer, Trinity College, University of Melbourne