[Linux-aus] Linux Australia AGM Held

Jacqueline McNally jacqueline at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Sun Feb 2 18:43:02 UTC 2003

> > <quote who="Bret Busby">
> >
> > > NSW/ACT has control. Look at the numbers, since you raise the point of
> > > majorities.
> >
> > > But, then again, maybe, it just wants to stay as Linux NSW, with its head
> > > in the ashes.

Bret, I was one of the locals that attended the Linux Australia AGM.
Admittedly, I was one of the LCA2003 delegates but I consider that if you
were interested in contributing to Linux Australia you would of been there.
Most people examining the Linux.conf.au programme would of seen the
scheduled meeting. Also, Pia had posted to various lists, including PLUG to
engender interest, for example, setting up the LUG email discussion list.

What I saw at the AGM was many many people putting their heads up and
stepping forward to be part of the Linux Australia Committee. I thought
this was great. Each presented a mini biography and why they thought they
were the best candidate. It was heartening to see.

Personally, I consider that the only boundary for Linux Australia is the
Australian coastline. When voting for candidates I was not thinking about
where they were physically located. What was important was their enthusiasm
to contribute to the Australian Linux community and what skills they had,
that they thought were important for the role.

I am a member of Soroptimist International that has what I consider too
many layers, i.e. club, region, federation, and international. But to
function and be able to have a voice we have had to create a position
called Australian National Representative. I feel that it would be a grave
mistake for Linux Australia to create layers.

May I suggest that effective communication with Linux Australia is
happening for some LUGs as they have already have a person in a liaison
role, i.e. participates in the Linux Australia email discussion lists, and
other organisations and keeps their LUG informed. Linux Australia as it is,
is enabled to approach other organisations and government to represent
Linux in Australia.

I wish the newly elected committee all the best for the coming year, and
good on you for stepping up.

All the best
Jacqueline McNally
http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/users/zenryaku/

Community Contact, Australia/New Zealand
OpenOffice.org Marketing Project
(www.openoffice.org)

Are you a computer angel? (www.ca.asn.au)