[Linux-aus] Linux people in Australia

Jacqueline McNally jacqueline at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Sat Feb 1 10:14:01 UTC 2003

Hello

I work in the science, engineering and electronics (inc computer hardware
and software) areas and I frequently have the opportunity to advocate and
promote the use of OSS including Linux.

Where I get stuck is being able to refer people to local resources,
especially real people that are doing stuff in Australia.

This was a common thread through LCA2003 from people not participating in
the Open Source community, but perhaps would like to avail themselves of
putting OSS to good use. Also, it is often quoted in the media as one of
the reasons that Linux is not getting onto the desktop; "support and
training". Here is one that just popped up for me today:
http://www.cw360.com/bin/bladerunner?REQSESS=u87XQX53&REQAUTH=0&2149REQEVENT=&CARTI=119066&CARTT=8&CCAT=2&CCHAN=32&CFLAV=1

What surprised me about this article is that the ability to collaborate in
the Open Source community was not ranked as a reason for choosing Linux on
the desktop. I consider that the Open Source community is currently where
the greater amount of support and training comes from 24/7. The
responsiveness of the various Open Source communities to their end users is
amazing.

More specifically, through the EducationaLinux mini-conf participants would
ask the speakers and OSS contributors where do you find the people to
implement and or integrate Linux, sys admin, help desk, and generally use
Linux for their workplaces.

I would like to suggest that we collate the "Australian Contributions to
the Linux movement" and "Australian Linux Vendors of Products and Services"
pages into a new page to include Linux Australia members.

There are quite a few Linux Australia members who have not yet the
opportunity to work full-time on Linux and work on Open Source projects in
their spare time, or who are just starting to dip their toe in the water. I
think it would be helpful if we were able to demonstrate the skill and
talent that we have available in Australia in this way, so when people say
what about, and where are the people, you can point them to a huge resource
of all the work being conducted in Australia.

I would look forward to working with you to create and maintain this
resource on the Linux Australia website.

Let me know what you think.

All the best
Jacqueline McNally
http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/users/zenryaku/

Community Contact, Australia/New Zealand
OpenOffice.org Marketing Project
(www.openoffice.org)

Are you a computer angel? (www.ca.asn.au)