[Linux-aus] Pronounciation guide - Lie-nix or Lynix?

Jon maddog Hall maddog at li.org
Fri Dec 19 21:39:01 UTC 2003

When I first met Linus in May of 1994, he pronounced his name as Leenoos (Tove,
his wife, still pronounces it that way), but when he moved to California he
answered the phone as "Lyenus".  I asked him why he did that, and he said
that no one in California could say "Leenoos", so he was "Lyenus".  I think it
is a fine example of how even-handed he is that he does not care that people
pronouce his own name wrong.

Lyenucks
Leenucks
Linnucks

Linus said that he did not care how you pronounced it as long as you used it.

md
--
Jon "maddog" Hall
Executive Director           Linux(R) International

Board Member: Uniforum Association, USENIX Association

(R)Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in several countries.
UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the US and other countries.