[Linux-aus] Pronounciation guide - Lie-nix or Lynix?

Les Bell lesbell at lesbell.com.au
Thu Dec 18 14:25:01 UTC 2003

Linus himself pronounces it like "linnucks". There is an older .au file
floating around that has him saying something like "Hello - My name is
Leenooss Torvalds and I pronounce Leenooks, Leenooks", but his accent seems
to have softened since those days. In fact, when asked how he pronounces
his own name, he says it depends - when in Europe he calls himself
"Leenooss" but in the US he calls himself "Lyenuss".

I go with "linnucks", but I don't get fussy about people who say
"lyenucks". I figure if Linus is that easy-going about his own name,
there's no point in getting one's knickers in a knot over a bunch of 1's
and 0's. ;)

Best,

--- Les Bell, RHCE, CISSP
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]