[Linux-aus] [link] How to Misunderstand Open Source Software Development

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Thu Dec 4 07:01:02 UTC 2003

    http://www.consultingtimes.com/ossdev.html

    How does one explain a "bad rap", especially one that isn't
    deserved? Open Source Software development suffers from
    widespread misunderstandings in the media from myths, false
    claims and disinformation. As a commercial software program
    and development manager, I view Open Source Software methods
    as simply a way to build applications. It happens to be the
    most efficient one.

    Companies spread falsehoods about Open Source methods of
    development out of fear that it threatens their revenue
    stream. I saw this first hand in a Senate committee meeting
    when a member of the BSA testified against a Bill I supported.
    Others simply conjure up images of wild-eyed hackers breaking
    into computer systems and writing bugs. Simply put, anyone
    under that impression suffers from hysterical propaganda.

    [...]

    This article intends to clear up some misconceptions and can
    help people transition from a closed development environment
    into an open one that shortens time to market while cutting
    costs. I would like you to walk away from reading this
    article with the notion that Open Source Software bears a
    mark of professionalism.

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA