[Linux-aus] Open source: time for a name change?

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Thu Aug 14 07:43:02 UTC 2003

On Wednesday, 13 August 2003 at 18:31:49 +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 14:48, Patrick Lesslie wrote:
>> Wasn't there an "Open Software Group" with something to do
>> with proprietary desktops?
>
> The Open Group owns the definition of what is and is not UNIX. And the
> trademark to it. They're making noises which seem to be hinting that
> they'd like to help with sprinkling holy UNIX water on Linux but don't
> want to upset the big UNIX names by so doing. Well, they don't have to
> worry unduly about AIX or Irix, but Solaris is a bit of a difficult
> read (must confess I'd probably enjoy the awkward posturing from Sun if
> TOG did bless Linux) and SCO UNIX/OpenServer/UnixWare is almost
> certainly a political powder keg (although massively amusing if they
> _did_ react :-).

My reading of TOG is that they're very pro-Linux.  In 2000, they
published a book "The UNIX System Today", along with a CD of Debian.
I was a little puzzled about that, since the contents of the book were
UNIX, not Linux, but it certainly isn't the action of an anti-Linux
group.

Greg
--
Finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key