[Linux-aus] Company policy on the use of Open Source Software in product development

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Thu Aug 7 10:47:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 08:39:18AM +1000, Caroline Gordon wrote:
> Hello all,
> I'm new to this mailing list and to the world of Open Source software.
> I am currently writing a policy document for the company to inform
> everyone of our obligations and rights in regard to Open Source software
> (which we are increasingly using in our products in different ways).
> I was just wondering if anyone has seen anything publically available
> (or is willing to make something available)?
>
> Obviously anyone can read the GPL and find out all the details but not
> many people are going to bother to do that. I was thinking of a document
> to more or less summarise the GPL and to lay out the specifics of how we
> will make source available, statements to be made in manuals etc.
> Obviously some details like that will differ in the details but
> generally the same rules apply.
>
> BTW - I'm concerned mainly with issues in product development, where
> open source is used in products that are sold by the company,
>
> Thanks
>
> Caroline Gordon

Caroline,

you will find that the GPL, although not as concise and simple as the BSD
licence, is fairly easy to follow. I can't really point you to any
simplifications or exegesis of the GPL which aren't bigger than the GPL
itself, but in case it's of use, try:

http://www.cybersource.com.au/cyber/about/comparing_the_gpl_to_eula.pdf