[Linux-aus] Open source: time for a name change?

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Wed Aug 6 12:37:02 UTC 2003

<quote who="Greg 'groggy' Lehey">

> If you want to understand the details, yes, the details matter.  Sure,
> you can use "Linux" as a sort of catchall, but there will be groups
> who don't want to be thought of as "Linux".  And it also fails the
> man-in-the-street test, though possibly not as badly as "open source".

Hrm, I don't think that's true at all these days. Lots of people know what
Linux is, even if they can't define it in a way that would please a
technical ear.

- Jeff

--
Get Informed: SCO vs. IBM                            http://sco.iwethey.org/

       "Microsoft treats security vulnerabilities as public relations
                        problems." - Bruce Schneier