[Linux-aus] This one's big...

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Wed Aug 6 09:58:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 10:22:59PM +1000, Con Zymaris wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 09:30:17PM +1000, Brad Hards wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 15:36 pm, Con Zymaris wrote:
> > > This essentially means that the last major barrier has been removed for
> > > Linux deployments in sensitive-government sites in the US, Candada, UK,
> > > Australia and NZ, which following a similar security certification
> > > protocol suite...
> >
> > Maybe useful for marketing, but essentially meaningless. Hell, Microsoft got
>
> Of course it's only useful in martketing!

Further on this marketing concept:

(Keep in mind that the following is from a top-end maintrstream newspaper)

LINUX OKAYED FOR USE ON 'MISSION CRITICAL' COMPUTERS

Linux software has been certified for use on "mission critical" computers,
including those used in U.S. government labs, espionage agencies and
military supply chain operations. The certification, granted by the Common
Criteria group, represents the industry's seal of approval and applies
only to Linux from German vendor SuSE, installed on a particular line of
IBM servers. Previously, Linux was certified only for "low to moderate"
security computers and supporters say the new rating could give it a leg
up in its uphill battle with Microsoft Windows. "It opens up new horizons
and new venues that we'd been precluded from. Everyone has had this view
of Linux as interesting but done by hackers on a part-time basis, a
bathtub of a code," says IBM senior VP Nicholas Donofrio.

(AP/Los Angeles Times 5 Aug 2003)

http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-linux5aug05,1,7834460.story?coll=la-head
lines-technology