[Talk] Re: [Linux-aus] Who can make sense of Gartner's prognostications?

David Purdue David.Purdue at Sun.COM
Mon Aug 4 14:50:01 UTC 2003

Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Monday,  4 August 2003 at 16:04:14 +1000, Con Zymaris wrote:
>
>>http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,6861814%255E15306,00.html
>>
>> LINUX penetration within Australian enterprises may reach 90 per cent
>> within three years, but it will remain a niche technology, with only 10
>> to 15 per cent of IT infrastructure running on the open source software,
>> according to Gartner.

(Leaps to defence of Gartner - stops to wonder what the hell he is
doing - carries on leap anyway.  ;-) )

What the report is saying is that Linux will reach 90% of ENTERPRISES,
but only 10-15% of SERVERS.

I don't know if this is true or not, but at least it has no internal
inconsistency.

DavidP