[Linux-aus] Who can make sense of Gartner's prognostications?

Kimberly Shelt kim at linmagau.org
Mon Aug 4 14:41:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 04:29:57PM +1000, Les Bell wrote:
> Correctamento. And what Gartner may be getting at is that this is not what
> organisations *plan* to do. On the face of it, either Gartner or the
> reporter are saying that 90% of enterprises will be running Linux
> *somewhere*, but on average, they'll use it for only 10-15% of their
> infrastructure. Though just what that means is anyone's guess - 10-15% of
> boxes? 10-15% of protocols/daemons? The little daemon on my left shoulder
> keeps saying that the Linux 10% of the boxes could easily be doing 90% of
> the useful work, with nine times as many Windows boxes required just to
> ensure that one of them is running at any one time.

There are specific questions in the survey on LinMagAu this month
with regard to this very issue :)

So far the results and certainly the comments by participants strongly
suggest the above.. I feel we may be preaching to the converted here
in this list, however :)

Perhaps I can spam the world (the non converted to *nix world) with
our results at the end of the month.. ?

Suggestion on where or whom happily accepted.

Kimberly Shelt
--
http://www.linmagau.org
Do the survey now ! :)