[Linux-aus] Greens battle Microsoft

Brent Wallis (IS) bw at wallis.id.au
Fri Aug 1 07:20:02 UTC 2003

Hi,

Jeff Waugh <jdub at perkypants.org> wrote ..
> <quote who="Brent Wallis">

> > IMHO if this gets through, we lose and if it doesn't we lose as well.
> > form this opinion because the idea will create public debate which
> > highlights an argument that restricts freedom and suggests Open Source
> is the silver bullet (whether users like it or not).
>
> I have been talking with various people from the smaller parties about
> these issues, and hope to tilt their perspective a bit. They're definitely
> trying to do the right thing, but we must help them find the best way. We're > not so good at the politicking, they're not so good at the hacking -> teaming
> up is lots of fun. :-)

Hmm, would not greater advantage be gained by a high profile Open Source driven office? I wonder if the Democrats or Greens would consider a complete swap of their systems. Now that really would be something...

Has anyone ever made an approach along these lines?
For the sake of community contribution, this sort of project would be a worthwhile "donate free consultancy time" excercise wouldn't it?

BW