[Linux-aus] Netware Products on the Linux Kernal

Brent Wallis brent.w at infosynergy.com.au
Thu Apr 17 13:17:02 UTC 2003

Hi,

David said:

>Looking for opinions about the following article.
>http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/30286.html

Hmm, the 2 faces of Novell?? ...there is also this article:
http://www.computerweekly.com/articles/article.asp?liArticleID=121012

Which starts with this little gem from the Novell CEO:
"Novell will take the "immature" Linux operating system and turn it into

a" robust, reliable and scaleable" enterprise-class operating system."

There is also this quote:
' "Linux is an immature operating system," he continued.
"It hasn't had somebody like Novell worrying about making it robust,
 reliable and scalable. We think we can bring that to the Linux kernel."
'

I won't even bother with that one...it smells like the SCO "Linux is a
bicycle" statement.

Personally, I see a "wonderful to use" OS going down the tube due to
their inability to recognise
the impact and natural progression that is Open Source a lot earlier on.

Just like SCO, I think they are starting to manoeuvre into a "position"
via the media in order
to minimise the inevitable damage/possible destruction? they face
towards the end of this calendar year...

BW