[Linux-aus] sponsorship proposal/opportunity for us (discuss :)

Stewart Smith stewartsmith at mac.com
Tue Apr 1 12:40:02 UTC 2003

Well, here's something to discuss all openly :)

I've been approached by the CSSE Student club here at uni about running
(yet another) Linux Install Day on campus. Being the trooper I am (and
having almost 3.5yrs experience running them) I said "of course, why don't
I talk about Debian too." Debian is our distro of choice for handing out
to people (as in, it doesn't break and we don't have to fix their
problems).
The problem is this:
The club doesn't have a heap of money and burning linux CDs for people
costs money. So many people are wanting linux CDs these days, that it's
impossible to actually have someone burn them all (i tried it, it's hours
on my 24x write).
What would be needed:
Some advance cash to get linux CDs burnt/pressed (whatever is cheaper).
Distro would be Debian (with an XFS install CD) and sold near cost (we
generally round up to the nearest $1). The cost of the CDs could then be
returned to Linux Australia. So, basically, LA doesn't loose out on money,
it's just lending it out so that Linux CDs can get made :)
What could be a problem:
i don't want to step on vendors toes too much, and the club doesn't really
want to either, but I haven't really found a package from any vendor that
fits what the club wants.... that is, the first few debian CDs, plus the
XFS installer.
Thoughts:
I think it's a good idea to help out, but I could be viewed as bias.
Thoughts are welcome.
--------
Stewart Smith
stewartsmith at mac.com