[Linux-aus] Booting Into X Application

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Thu Sep 5 00:26:06 UTC 2002

<quote who="David Brodrick">

>   I have written an X-windows based application that I wish to use on a
> public display terminal. I would need to ensure it was not possible for
> the user/viewer/public to open any other applications (ie, probably
> don't want to run a wm). Also I would require the machine to somehow
> open the application and maximise it following a reboot.
>
>   Can anybody offer some suggestions on an elegant way to achieve this?

If your app can manage its own size, set up an .xsession or .xinitrc like
this:

exec /usr/bin/application

Then run startx. Your app will start with no window manager or desktop
environment. Without killing X, no one will be able to start or use software
other than your own.

- Jeff

--
     "Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Dark
                             Helmet, Spaceballs