[Lias] Hello!

David Joshua Geary dgeary2 at une.edu.au
Sat May 21 23:28:04 EST 2011

On 20/05/11 14:18, onlyjob wrote:
> /home on NFS (or on NFS4) seems to be a reasonable solution for you.

I would go for SSHFS home folders (which requires installing sshfs and
libpam-mount and configuring pam in /etc/pam.d/ and also adding every
student to the fuse group) but NFS is probably easier to set up. NFS is
the traditional method.

Would you recommend LDAP to store usernames and passwords? This would
require installing, configuring, and populating slapd and possibly
installing ldap-utils on the server and installing and configuring
ldap-auth-client on the client (/etc/ldap.conf, /etc/ldap/ldap.conf,
/etc/nsswitch.conf).

For any system where home is on a remote computer, the environment
variable dictating where the .ICEauthority is to be put should be set to
somewhere local (ie other than the home folder) such as /tmp/. This is
done in /etc/security/pam_env.conf

> I would advice against *buntu in favor of Debian:
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu

Why?

> On 20 May 2011 13:37, Kym Z <kym at riverland.net.au> wrote:
>> Is this list still active?
>> If so, what is your advice on the best way to setup a tiny primary
>> school to run Edubuntu?

What is the current knowledge and experience of the staff who would be
to install the proposed system?

Also... In which state and city is the school located?

>> We currently have stand-alone student desktop machines dual-booting with
>> XP and Edubuntu, and a file server running Edubuntu.  Internet access is
>> through a separate ClearOS proxy server.

Please explain more about the relationship between the workstations and
the file server. Which services are being used?

>> We also have some student desktops and laptops running only Edubuntu.

>> What is the best way to make it so that the kids can login to any
>> computer and have their own settings and files saved on the server?

Put their home folders on the server.

>> Is there already some documentation on the recommended way to do this
>> somewhere?

The recommended method is to exercise your favourite web search engine.
There is plenty of documentation available. Perhaps too much... There
are also many different ways to solve your particular problem.

- --
David Joshua Geary
UNE Linux User Group: linux at une.edu.au <http://lugune.dyndns.org>
I don't care what software you use so long as
  we only exchange files in open data formats
Open-Document <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Document>
Ogg <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogg>
PDF <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pdf>