[Lias] Samba3 and Word

Patrick Lesslie patrick at lesslie.ath.cx
Tue Feb 8 11:43:01 UTC 2005

On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 02:55:37PM +1100, Simon Bryan wrote:
> HI all,
> Has anyone implemented a Samba3 domain with XP desktops? We are actually
> using an e-smith or SME setup but are having a lot of trouble with Words
> files being corrupted in workstations RAM without the user doing anything.
> This is esepcially true of files with tables in them.
>
> Has anyone ales een this or got any ideas? The files in question come from
> the users home directory so the oplock problem should not be an issue,
> however I have added
> oplocks=No
> level2 oplocks = No
> fake oplocks = No
> to the smb.conf global section, thought this had settled the problem, but
> have had a couple of complaints again. ANy help appreciated.

It is possible for normal.dot to get a virus apparently.  There are ways
to test for it like renaming normal.dot, since then word will create a
new one.  I don't know if it will help.

http://www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=646

I heard of some spontaneous intermittent in-RAM Word file corruption on
an XP machine that wasn't using a samba server recently.

Patrick