[Lias] Re: [acscomputers] Google rewrites?

Paul Gear pgear at redlands.qld.edu.au
Wed Aug 24 12:33:02 UTC 2005

John Summerfield wrote:
>> Seems like a bit of a waste when it's what squidGuard is supposed to do
>> well...  :-)
>>
>> What about a redirect instead?  Could we just put
>>     redirect %u&safe=strict
>> in a section that bans all google traffic with a match like
>>     (google.*\?)
>> ?
>>

> In squid.conf:
> # acl aclname url_regex [-i] ^http:// ... # regex matching on whole URL
> acl goodgoogle url_regex [-i] \
> ^http://[^/]*google.com(|\.[a-z]{2}/safe=strict
> acl google url_regex [-i] \ ^http://[^/]*google.com(|\.[a-z]{2}

I'm not trying to block google, i'm trying to rewrite the requests (by
appending '&safe=strict') so that they don't need blocking.

> Note that the above regex isn't exactly right, it needs to only apply to
> searches.

That's what the \? in my rule was about.

> I don't like site-specific Squid rules, but I guess a small number (my
> definition) is tolerable.

Indeed.

> The example I saw only works properly if you limit to one copy.

One copy running in memory?  That wouldn't work for us.  We have about
400 end nodes, and if we have less than about 30 redirectors, it runs
out regularly.

> I ran this on WBEL 4 which has selinux enforcing nice behaviour. I could
> not create the files in /tmp which, I suppose, is good.

Not very application-friendly, though...

--
Paul Gear, Manager IT Operations, Redlands College
38 Anson Road, Wellington Point 4160, Australia