[Lias] Seeking Recommendation for Tech Support Company

Andrew Dorrell andrew.dorrell at cisra.canon.com.au
Mon May 24 16:44:02 UTC 2004

Had this kind of problem with both the schools that I have worked more
closely with.  The linux servers chug along but the client PCs (and
Macs) need lots of maintenance... and every now and then there are
network and printing issues that need to be resolved.

The solution that both schools are now using is perhaps a little
unexpected: they use TAFE students on work experience.  This has turned
out to be a very good long term solution, as well as being low cost, for
both schools.

One thing I would recommend however is having a documented standard
system setup and a short list of tools / procedures for fixing server
problems (even if this is limited to instructions on cleanly restarting
servers.  Then leave your contact details with instructions to be
contacted for recurrent or stubborn problems... or setup a cron job to
email you the relevant log files if you want to be more avtive.

BTW do DET provide support for _any_ servers that the school install on
their own initiative?  I didn't think so... and that seems perfectly
understandable to me.  I'm happy for them just to do a good job with
their own infrastructure.

Les Bell wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a company that can provide technical support for a
> school network consisting of:
>
> 20 NT workstations (plans in hand to replace those)
> 20 (approx) Windows XP workstations
> 8 (approx) Windows 2000 workstations
> around a dozen Windows 98 machines
> 2 x Samba/Apache/Webmin servers
>
> in the Chatswood / Northern Beaches area of Sydney?
>
> The company that were providing tech support have thrown up their hands in
> horror at the presence of Linux boxes (though they're based way out west,
> so I think this was a convenient excuse), and while I'm happy to help out
> as a parent, the school really needs someone who can respond quickly in the
> event of virus/worm outbreaks, patches to be distributed, etc.
>
> The Linux servers aren't the problem, by the way; they're chugging along
> quite happily - it's tasks like joing new machines to the domain,
> installing Service Packs, etc. that's the issue. The setup is
> comprehensively documented, and there's the possibility of re-using some of
> the older machines in a K12LTSP lab in the not-too-distant future. Anyone
> with questions can ring me on (02) 9451 1144 or 0408 239 711.
>
> The local district technology adviser is being less than helpful, pointing
> out that by installing Linux the school can't expect support from DET.
> Considering the level of support seen in the past, and the fact that the
> Linux servers are the only trouble-free part of the network, I can't say
> I'm impressed.
>
> Best,
>
> --- Les Bell, RHCE, CISSP
> [http://www.lesbell.com.au]