[Lias] Seeking Recommendation for Tech Support Company

Les Bell lesbell at lesbell.com.au
Mon May 24 16:37:01 UTC 2004

Robert McLeay <robert at fearthecow.net> wrote:

As far as I can see, the main problem with this network is that it isn't
very consistent  - you're supporting 4 different desktop operating
systems, some of which are ancient (NT 4, 98). There would be a fairly
high amount of time required wandering around to patch/fix these all.
<<

Got it in one, Robert. Just supporting roaming profiles on a mixture of NT
and 2K/XP is reckoned to be a death-defying stunt, according to what I've
read. The NT boxes have got to go. And as you say, wandering around is
incredibly time-consuming.

For the patching of windows 2000 and XP, you should be able to set up a
SUS server to automate the patching
<<

Yep - just after I'd set up a set of scripts to install the right patches
in the right places, DET installed a SUS server and sent out a "Desktop
Security Upgrade Toolkit" CD with some required patches, Symantec Antivirus
Corporate Edition and the SUS client-side config on it. We're rolling that
out onto the 2K/XP systems at the moment, and that should ease our pain
somewhat.

If you block 137-139, 445, 5000 and a few other ports at your gateway,
and ban staff from plugging in laptops from home (or force them to use a
highly locked down VLAN) you should fix most of the problems with
viruses/worms, especially if you use a SUS server or Altiris/the like to
roll out patches.
<<

Unfortunately, we have no control over the gateway (there's a Cisco 4500
switch in there, but I have no idea what ACL's are in it, etc.). Likewise,
we're stuck with DET addressing conventions which leaves us very little
room to maneouvre in terms of adding a firewall. It's crossed my mind a few
times, but it's not so much a technical issue as a political one. ;)

Have you thought about grabbing a final (or later) year uni student to
handle the more complicated stuff like managing switches, vlans,
servers, etc and grabbing some TAFE work exp. students to handle desktop
support? I don't really know how complex your set up is, of course, but
many uni students should be able to handle this stuff easily, especially
if you're using common gear.
<<

It's on the agenda, but right now, the principal wants someone on call and
is happy to pay for a high level of support. (Since I've been doing it for
free so far, I whole-heartedly agree ;) ). Maybe once we get things under
control there'll be scope for us to involve some TAFE students etc. on some
development work and more interesting stuff.

Imaging computers is your friend! You mention that you're joining
machines to the domain - if they're part of a domain, you should be able
to force an update policy on them, to avoid requiring people wandering
around with CDs of patches.
<<

Correct. Unfortunately, there's a mix of hardware in there, but we're
working on that now.

And yes, here too, the Linux servers are by far the
most reliable as well. :)
<<

Yep. There's an interesting project management lesson there: don't
introduce something new and unfamiliar to non-technical management (like
Linux) while at the same time making large changes to other parts of the
infrastructure. Linux will get unfairly blamed for Windows problems. . .;)

Thanks for your comments, there's some good thoughts there. . .

Best,

--- Les Bell, RHCE, CISSP
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]