[Lias] Seeking Recommendation for Tech Support Company

Les Bell lesbell at lesbell.com.au
Mon May 24 09:04:02 UTC 2004

Andrew Dorrell <andrew.dorrell at cisra.canon.com.au> wrote:

The solution that both schools are now using is perhaps a little
unexpected: they use TAFE students on work experience.  This has turned
out to be a very good long term solution, as well as being low cost, for
both schools.
<<

Good thinking, Andrew. I'll bring that up with the Principal when I discuss
this with her today. Their biggest problem is virus outbreaks (three nasty
ones so far this year) for which they need a fast response. I'd do it
myself except that my lecturing work has me travelling for weeks at a time.

One thing I would recommend however is having a documented standard
system setup and a short list of tools / procedures for fixing server
problems (even if this is limited to instructions on cleanly restarting
servers.  Then leave your contact details with instructions to be
contacted for recurrent or stubborn problems... or setup a cron job to
email you the relevant log files if you want to be more avtive.
<<

Already done, Andrew. I've got the server configs fully documented, config
files backed up, etc. However, since the Linux servers were first brought
up at the end of last year, almost all my efforts have gone into Window
issues. I have a fine collection of MS patches, service packs, etc. plus my
own registry patches, in the form of .inf and .reg files, to fix IE proxy
misconfiguration problems and the like. The Linux boxes have required no
attention by comparison (I'm pleased to say).

BTW do DET provide support for _any_ servers that the school install on
their own initiative?  I didn't think so... and that seems perfectly
understandable to me.  I'm happy for them just to do a good job with
their own infrastructure.
<<

I've seen no evidence of support at all. They'll lend a hand when able
(e.g. when all hands man the pumps to deal with virus outbreaks) and they
have now set up a SUS to distribute patches, which is A Good Thing. But for
everything else, the schools are on their own.

Best,

--- Les Bell, RHCE, CISSP
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]