[Lias] OpenOffice 1.1.1 now faster on remote displays

Simon Bryan simon.bryan at olmc.nsw.edu.au
Wed Mar 31 07:18:01 UTC 2004

Ken Yap said:
> Just downloaded and installed OO1.1.1. As the issues log says, the speed
> on displays (especially remote ones) has been improved, and I can say
> that the improvement is noticeable. It should work a treat with LTSP.
>
> http://download.openoffice.org/1.1.1/issues_resolved_1.1.1.html

So how would I go about upgrading it on the LTSP clients?
Assume:
1. Re-install on the server in Network mode
2. ???????

Would existing users of 1.1.0 still be able to run OO after I changed the
Network install? Which version would they get?
If existing users need to upgrade as well, can that be automated?

The way we are setup is that all our users are actually Windows users
authenticated via winbind. When pam_mkhomedir runs it does NOT copy the
dot files from /etc/skel - no matter what mask I use in the pam login
file. So I have setup a 'configure' script which they run after they login
the first time which then copies the dot files over - this preconfigures
OO and Galeon - these are Windows users after all, they need everything
done for them! Hmmm maybe I could say 'run the configure script again'.

--
Simon Bryan
IT Manager