[Lias] Can't initialise Network Cards

Paul Gear pgear at redlands.qld.edu.au
Mon Mar 1 07:07:01 UTC 2004

Simon Bryan wrote:
> Paul Gear said:
>
>>Simon Bryan wrote:

>>>Using Gnome, the Hrdware browser can see all the nics, I assign them
>>>using
>>>Network settings to eth0 eth1 eth2 (there are now three cards). Whenever
>>>try to activate them I get the message that:
>>>
>>>device ethx does not seem to be present delaying initialization
>>>
>>>Any clues appreciated.
>>
>>What messages relating to the cards do you see in dmesg?
>

> Absolutley no messages relating to ethx or network cards or settings at all!

That would tend to indicate that there is no setting for those cards
in /etc/modules.conf.  What does that look like?

Do you get other normal kernel startup messages in dmesg?  (I'm
thinking here that you may have just filled up the dmesg buffer with
other messages and the ethX ones have disappeared.

--
Paul Gear, Manager IT Operations
Redlands College, 38 Anson Road, Wellington Point 4160, Australia