[Lias] Linux Useage @ Redlands College

Paul Gear pgear at redlands.qld.edu.au
Mon Feb 23 12:35:02 UTC 2004

Ben Minton wrote:
> Hi List and Paul,
>
> I was just looking at the Redlands College website, Paul and was
> interested in why the current setup is the way it is?

That's the first time i've read that page.  The information there is
from 1999, which (if i'm in the right year) is 5 years ago.

> It seems that you are locked into Mac software, although you can run
> Linux on iMacs.
>
> Just about all the packages listed have OSS counterparts that are quite
> mature and user-friendly.
>
> Any plans to migrate, at least, this programme to full Linux? Would have
> to save quite a bit on hardware and licencing.

I have plans to investigate thin client technologies for all
appropriate parts of the college, and will probably try to implement
K12LTSP on any machine that requires only Office & Internet software.

But i have my hands full with the day-to-day running of the
infrastructure, so progress is slow... :-(
--
Paul Gear, Manager IT Operations
Redlands College, 38 Anson Road, Wellington Point 4160, Australia