[Lias] linux on mac?

Nick Oliver nick at linux.act.edu.au
Mon Feb 16 18:46:02 UTC 2004

Ben wrote:
Macs ? Unfortunately I am stuck in IBM-pc land but wish I had one or
two. I can't play all of my Peter Gabriel 'Real World' CDs ! If you
need some other Mac stuff for yourself, let me know. I have a friend
o/s who can get anything Mac related for good 'price'. BTW is there an
emulator to allow Mac stuf to run on the GNU/Linux kernel, similar to
Wine?

What I really want is a linux on Mac software package. I know I can use
Fink or I could run Linux in the form of YellowDog and then run
MaconLinux. All these options involve compromises if one is using cool
new macs. Old macs run Yellowdog just fine. But I want to hop into
linux as a side track to my main business teaching using costly OSX
apps.  I've hunted and can't find anything like MacOnLinux for
LinuxOnMac. I suppose experts would say there is no point when you can
run Fink and get most of the packages for MacOS and that is fair enough.

Has anyone had much success managing a parallel Gnome enviroment on
their Macs? I've got OpenOffice running nicely with a Gnome desktop by
switching aqua's default X to gnome-session but don't know how to add
apps to the various menus.

Ben wrote:
That is exactly what I mean, the high cost of licencing and onerous
conditions attached have forced or encouraged the software piracy
issue.  In regard to the gimp and blender, are you going to have a
facility whereby the kids can download the software themselves or would
you consider just burning a heap of copies?

I've got 10 copies of TheOpenCD (google it) and plonked them into the
Library.  I wanted to give'em away but librarians being who they are
ran them through their system and lend them out. Works ok. Want to rev
it up but whos got time?

Nick Oliver
MultiMedia
Lake Tuggeranong College