[Lias] RE Mac Software on GNU/Linux

Ben Minton benminton at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 15 09:16:02 UTC 2004

Hi Nick.

Congrats on getting your hands some neat stuff !

> > Although the school has an Apple Macinstosh lab for graphics and Adobe
> > Photoshop & Illustrator on the Win system, there is no ability to the
> > students to get a copy of the software they use at school and load it
> > onto
> > their home PCs, thus limiting their potential to really explore and
> > learn.
>
>I have just inherited a digital media facility in my new school at the
>Tuggeranong college that runs Apple iMac and eMac workstations with
>licences for Adobe/Macromedia/Microsoft suite products. The
>workstations all run Audacity for audio work.  I will be installing
>Gimp and Blender on the workstations soon so that my students can take
>the software home. I really believe that it is important to show them
>software that they don't have to steal to get access to at home. When I
>asked for a hands up who had Photoshop at home most all had it and non
>had paid.

That is exactly what I mean, the high cost of licencing and onerous
conditions attached have forced or encouraged the software piracy issue.  In
regard to the gimp and blender, are you going to have a facility whereby the
kids can download the software themselves or would you consider just burning
a heap of copies?

>Is anyone else out there running Free and Open Source Software on macs?
>I'd be interested to hear about experiences maintaining software and
>usability options. My limited study of Blender shows some serious
>potential and a pretty steep learning curve but that's going to be the
>case with any 3D tools I guess.

Macs ? Unfortunately I am stuck in IBM-pc land but wish I had one or two. I
can't play all of my Peter Gabriel 'Real World' CDs ! If you need some other
Mac stuff for yourself, let me know. I have a friend o/s who can get
anything Mac related for good 'price'. BTW is there an emulator to allow Mac
stuf to run on the GNU/Linux kernel, similar to Wine?

Cheers, Ben