[Lias] telnet

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Mon Apr 5 15:24:01 UTC 2004

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 14:16, Kirty Bhalla wrote:
> I am able to telnet with normal user on linux 2.1.whereas when I try
> to telnet with root.It gives me login incorrect.
> Does anyone have any suggestions.

Um, don't use telnet?

It's hopelessly insecure as it stands, let alone with the root password
sniffable within a few packets of the start of a connection.

Use ssh (SecureSHell) instead.

On MS Windows, PuTTY does an excellent job of being a client for both
ssh and telnet protocols. Even using ssh, I am loathe to enable direct
root login. Just type "su" once you're logged in and then the root
password.

If you use ssh, you can scp stuff to and fro (in Konqueror, type
fish://username:password@hostname and see what happens) without opening
up any more services, and the MS Windows program WinSCP does a
creditable job of mimicking Konq in Windows Explorer style.

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Vice President, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA
http://linux.org.au/            Past Committee Member, Linux Australia