[Lias] Samba and WIndows AD

Simon Bryan sbryan at olmc.nsw.edu.au
Fri Nov 28 09:07:03 UTC 2003

We are currently runinng a Windows NT Domain, we need to move on to an Windows AD
Domain (NT is no longer sujpported etc). A simple option is of course to just put in
a Windows 2003 server - but this then means I have to repurcahse access licences for
all 200 plus workstations, and in fact we set up a test server and were not that
happy with it anyway (too many issues getting it to run).

The question is can I go to Samba 3 and completely replace the Windows server -
therefore no access licences to worry about. Has anyone done this that can give me
amy pitfalls to watch out for? Will I need a separate authentication server such as
LDAP or will the SAMBA server do the authentication and user management?

I don't expect detailed HowTo's (but would be nice) rather just a yes or no that it
is or is not possible.

--
Simon Bryan
IT Manager