[Lias] Red Hat substitutes

Paul Gear pgear at redlands.qld.edu.au
Fri Nov 14 10:03:01 UTC 2003

Leon Brooks wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 07:51, Paul Gear wrote:
>
>>Please don't use the "switch to Debian" (or another
>>community-supported distro) answer.  :-)
>

> OK... why not switch to Mandrake, SuSE or Xandros? Mandrake and SuSE
> will upgrade reasonably cleanly, haven't tried doing that with Xandros.

I'll be looking at Mandrake over Christmas.  It seems a strong
possibility to me so far, but guaranteed security fixes from a company
that nearly went bankrupt seem a little shaky.

SuSE may be a strong possibility, especially since they've just been
bought by Novell and may be available on our SLA...

> If your beef with Fedora is lack of an official support company, have
> you considered Fedora plus a local support contract?

If that support contract provided guaranteed security updates, it
would be a possibility.  I understand the Fedora Legacy project will
take care of some of the issues, but a support contract with someone
locally who committed to providing security updates even if FL didn't
would go a long way towards keeping me happy...

Are you offering?  :-)
--
Paul Gear, Manager IT Operations
Redlands College, 38 Anson Road, Wellington Point 4160, 07 3286 0271