[Lias] Re: [qsite-lan_qsite_edu_au] Re: rpm error

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Nov 14 09:50:02 UTC 2003

> Per year, per server.
>
> That's more expensive than our Novell site license, which provides
> *unlimited* NetWare servers plus BorderManager and ZENworks for US$2
> per full-time student.

I find the pricing totally unreasonable - especially given the recurring
nature. I can't imagine how they think small businesses, schools,
non-profits etc are going to be able to pay those prices, yet their
attitude appears to be "Fedora is a toy/R&D platform, don't use it for
anything you care about".

Perhaps, since you're an existing Novell customer, you may find their
decision to buy SuSE quite benificial. I wouldn't be surprised of Novell
released a version of SuSE with commercial support that was integrated
into their existing licensing programme - probably at a rather more
reasonable cost than that of Red Hat.

Craig Ringer