[Lias] LTSP and XFCE4

Simon Bryan sbryan at olmc.nsw.edu.au
Wed Nov 12 07:26:04 UTC 2003

Hi all,
Whilst getting some help here for issues with my LTSP server a number of people
mentioned that what I wanted was easy with XFce rather than Gnome or KDE.
Remembering that I am a complete dunce with these things:
1. Is this a replacement for Gnome or KDE or does it need a complete install of Linux?
2. If using it can I still use apps such as Open Office and Galeon?
3. How hard would it be to convert my system to use it?

I have looked at the website and it looks to be a normal install from source, so
could I do that and then have it as a 'session' option in the login for me to test
it? If so are there any instructions anywhere to do that - or is that what the
website documentation calls " here is a script that starts an Xnest session with
xfce4:"

Cheers