[Lias] pam_mkhonedir.so winbind

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Nov 11 11:21:01 UTC 2003

> If pam_mkhomedir.so is NOT getting the skeleton directory from /etc/skel (as in
> pam.d/login) where the #$%^&  does it get it from!?

You can force pam_mkhomedir to get the skel from a particular location
by altering the appropriate PAM file. For example:

session     required      /lib/security/pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel

will force the desired target directory. That said, I suspect that isn't
your problem.

> I added a desktop link to /etc/skel but when a winbind users home directory is
> created it does not include the file.
>
> Most of the users are being created via winbind as they are on a Windows Domain

What is your environment? Users logging in to KDE/GNOME using winbind
credentials? If so, both KDE and GNOME seem to be a bit funny about how
they create the default desktops etc, and modifying skel may not be the
way to add extra links etc.

I find this endlessly frustrating, and have found a simple XFCE4
environment easy to admin and easier for my users. Nonetheless, you've
chosen what you're using for a reason I expect.

To test if this is the case, try creating a simple dotfile (say
/etc/skel/.test) and checking if it exists when a new user homedir is
created. If so, then your problem is most likely a GNOME/KDE issue
rathern than with pam_mkhomedir.

'Luck

Craig Ringer