[Lias] User management problem

Robert McLeay ches at perlboy.org
Mon May 5 21:27:02 UTC 2003

Hi Tom,

If running as root:

grep -i "username" /etc/passwd

returns nothing and you still can't add the user, here are a couple of
suggestions.

Try logging out completely and logging back in again, in case you have
logged in as the user in question and su'd.

Also, could the box in question be cracked and have a rootkit installed
that messes with the usertools? (It's probably unlikely that this is the
case, but my laptop got cracked last friday, so it's still fresh in the
mind) :(

Another suggestion: If you have warped usertools, try mv /home/username
/home/oldusername and then readding the user.

As authentication on unix usually just works from flat files, restarting
or rebooting is highly unlikely to do anything.

Regards,

Robert.