[Lias] Thin Clients and NT Domain logins

Simon Bryan sbryan at olmc.nsw.edu.au
Sun Jul 6 09:33:02 UTC 2003

> I personally prefer automount for this sort of thing.  I use it for
> all my CDs & floppies.  I use the Red Hat autofs, which requires you
> to uncomment this line in /etc/auto.master:
>     /misc   /etc/auto.misc  --timeout=10
> This automatically unmounts mounted filesystems after 10 seconds of
> inactivity (i.e. no process with open files or using it as its current
> directory).
>
> I then add this to /etc/auto.misc for my CD & floppy:
>     cd     -fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,nodev :/dev/cdrom
>     floppy -fstype=auto,nosuid,nodev       :/dev/fd0
>
> You can add a hostname in front of the colon as follows:
>     linux  -ro,soft,intr    ftp.example.org:/pub/linux
> This uses NFS, but you can do any type of filesystem.
Thanks for the tip, will look into that. At the moment I don't have time to test,
but in the shower this morning (best place for thinking) I was wondering why I don't
use NFS or even SMB to permanently mount the home directories from one server to the
other. Will have to check what happens to permissions, and I have a sneaking
suspicion that the there will be a variation in UID's and GID's meaning the users
and groups don't match.