[Lias] proxy problem

Andrew Dorrell andrew.dorrell at cisra.canon.com.au
Fri Feb 7 08:13:01 UTC 2003

Call that "tech support" then?  I certainly don't.

Most likely that squid is not automatically forwarding through https
requests in the new version.  I have not played round with this version
but have had a similar problem with older versions.  A temporary fix:

in your browser manually set the ssl proxy to proxyds.schools.nsw.edu.au
port 80 (ie bypass your internal proxy).  This will work so long as you
have routing setup correctly and will at least confirm what the problem
is.  Don't go doing it on all your machines - this is just to confirm
the problem!

Then go get a vanilla squid.conf for your current version and browse the
comments for things that are on-topic. The squid web site will usually
contain a section in the FAQ relating to config file changes also

Doug wrote:
> hi all
> i have been having a very confusing time with the school's linux server
> everything was fine last year but we upgraded to rh8 and all the patches - same squid.conf and settings
> ... now i can connect to the DET and the net (no problems with normal sites)... but when you go to a secure site (netscape.net, comsec, SCIS downloads etc) requiring passwords the browser (explorer) hangs or times out.
> i have had a technician here all afternoon with no result and the DET tech support sent me a charming message saying it was my problem and best wishes.
>
> am i missing something or has something changed
>
> thanks
> doug (newcastle high)

Andrew Dorrell PhD.        Senior Research Engineer
Canon Information Systems Research Australia     Phone: 61 2 9805 2224
1 Thomas Holt Drive,  North Ryde,  NSW 2113.     Fax:   61 2 9805 2865